Wild Birds Unlimited
Total Startup Investment
$150,837 - $260,991
Net Worth Required
US/Canada Franchise Units
Franchise Owner Reviews
Reviewed by 249 franchise owners (81% of owners)
The Nature of Our Business
Wild Birds Unlimited launched in 1981 when owner Jim Carpenter decided to marry his passion for birds and nature with his knowledge of retailing. The first Wild Birds Unlimited franchise was awarded in 1983. Now, with over 310 locations throughout the US and Canada, Wild Birds Unlimited has gained a loyal following among birdwatchers and nature lovers. Wild Birds Unlimited franchise store owners are the back yard bird feeding specialists within their local community and a premiere source for quality products, as well as local nature information. Our retail product mix includes a wide variety of bird feeders, bird houses, bird food, bird baths, books, binoculars and nature-related products and gift items.
Voted #1 in 2014 by Franchise Business Review in the Retail Category, Wild Birds Unlimited was the first and is now the largest franchise system of back yard bird feeding and nature appreciation stores in North America. With many locations still available, Wild Birds Unlimited is an ideal franchise choice for first time franchisees, offering a detailed system of best practices. Known for top-notch training and support, the Wild Birds Unlimited Franchise Support Center boasts a team of over 40 professionals dedicated to helping franchisees meet their goals. Wild Birds Unlimited is ranked #123 on Entrepreneur Magazine’s list of America’s Top Global Franchises for 2013. We are also ranked on USA Today’s list of Top 50 Franchises for Military Veterans and Bond’s Top 100 Franchises for 2013.
Is Wild Birds Unlimited for ME?
- Interested in owning my own retail business and working for myself?
- Excited about building that business?
- A nature enthusiast with an interest in Back Yard Bird Feeding?
- Enjoy interacting with customers
- Be willing to follow WBU Best Practices when operating my store?
- Be committed to delivering an excellent customer experience?
We are here to Support YOU!
At our Franchise Support Center in Carmel, Indiana, we have more than 40 professionals dedicated to helping you reach your goals. From the very first day you contact us, we will walk you through every step of learning about the Wild Birds Unlimited franchise opportunity and assist you in navigating the process of opening your own store. Once you are open for business, our team will continue to work with you and support you in learning and executing the Wild Birds Unlimited Best Practices. Just a few of the areas of support are:
- Marketing – We provide a comprehensive marketing plan and materials to drive new and repeat business into your store.
- Merchandising and Purchasing – We offer continuous education, support and evaluation to help ensure you have the best product mix and visual presentation for your customers.
- Human Resources – We work with you to develop your customer service skills, to implement employee training and devise effective management strategies.
- Nature and Hobby Education – We train you to become the expert in back yard bird feeding. We will keep you informed of the latest trends, news and products to make your Wild Birds Unlimited store the destination for bird and nature enthusiasts.
- Information Systems – We will train you on the use of our Point of Sale system and provide Data Management tools to ensure you have all of the necessary resources to manage your business.
Typically it takes approximately 45-60 days from your first inquiry to receive approval. We will work together through the entire discovery process to help you decide if owning a Wild Birds Unlimited store is right for you!
Note: Wild Birds Unlimited is NOT ACTIVELY FRANCHISING in the states of Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Mexico and Wyoming.
Download the franchisee satisfaction report on Wild Birds Unlimited absolutely free